Doctors Love and McGinnis house, 2063 Oak Street, Jacksonville, built in 1926, architect H.J. Klutho. This home was designed as a live/work structure. Dr. James Love and Dr. R.H. McGinnis had their offices on the first floor and lived on the second floor. The five-sided building is an exotic, beautiful Mediterranean-revival design by Klutho, who supplied many of the city's most memorable homes, apartment building, high-rise office buildings, and hotels. The home presents a dramatic main entrance on the corner of Oak and Goodwin streets.
A series of columned archways frame the tiled front porch and lead to an impressive arched front door with sidelights that follow its shape. Arched windows flank the door.
A columned balcony tops the porch.
The porch and the balcony with its barrel-tiled roof duplicate the lines of the house with five sides. There are few rectangular rooms inside this interesting house!
Windows are a key feature; among those downstairs are triple arched windows. Single windows are less elaborate but are set off by decorative wrought iron.
Other interesting features include cast-stone medallions; wrought iron grilles cover attic and basement vents.
The Jacksonville Historic Landmark commission has designated the Love-McGinnis residence a landmark. Pinkston and Pinkston attorneys occupy the building today.
This beautiful building is just around the corner from the 5 Points business district. Many historic homes within this proximity have been converted from residential to commercial or business use. The Love-McGinnis residence always had a business use with the doctors' offices on the first floor.
This master home by a master architect is as much a good citizen on the streetscape of this beautiful historic neighborhood as in 1926 when it was built.